Sunday, November 10, 2013

BREAK-UP : Vivian Metchie: Real reason my marriage crashed after 11 years ... SunNews

Vivian-Metchie-612x300
Star of Candle Light, Vivian Metchie, has sensationally declared that she could marry her ex all over again if she had the opportunity. Metchie, who separated from her hubby last year after 11 years of marriage and who is making a comeback to Nollywood told The Entertainer that one of the reasons the union crashed was because they were both too young and immature to handle the challenges of marriage.
“No I don’t regret marrying my ex-husband. If I had the opportunity to do it again I would marry again and maybe I would marry the same man,” she said adding, “But not at the same time and age. I married my ex because we were both very young so there were issues of maturity. We just stopped communicating and drifted apart.”

Sheltered kid
Born to a family of three, Vivian is the last child of her parents. She says growing up was fun as her dad was well off; he was Assistant General Manager (AGM) at Ajaokuta Steel. According to her, she and her siblings had everything they wanted.
“I was a sheltered kid. In fact, they called me ‘omo mummy’ (mummy’s pet). I was spoilt but my head was in my books. I had a very strong personality and I did not do what I did not want to do, and my father never faulted my judgment. I could go on hunger strike to get anything from my dad and he always listened to me,” she recalled.
However, the thespian says the first time her dad doubted her ability to make sound decisions for herself was when she chose to marry her estranged hubby 11 years ago.
“My father was not really down with the choice I made regarding marriage. It was the only time my dad did not go with my choice. He was like ‘Vivian, are you sure?’ But sh*t happens! You see, he always trusted my judgment. When I said I was going to be an actress he never objected.”

Romance
After 11 years of marriage and four kids down the line, Vivian is still a beautiful woman. And she says that guys both young and old are hitting on her! How is she handling the attention? “I like the attention sometimes but I know what I want. I’m not dating anybody for now but there’s pressure from all ages even young boys,” she confesses wincing mischievously and adding as she blinks rapidly, “after all, I’m a fine girl na.”
But could she remarry? I asked.
“Remarry? For now I don’t know. Now, I’m a Moslem so I could be fourth wife to one senior Alhaji that has plenty money,” she says jokingly as we both share a laugh.

Vivian’s spec
Are you a male fan? Have you been dreaming of hooking up with Vivian Metchie? Do you have a crush on her? You just might have a shot at her heart if you meet these standards. Hear her: “I grew up as an independent woman not depending on anybody. But right now I’m not going to be the ‘superman’ any more. I am going to be a girl. I want a guy who would be fair to me and very caring; I’m his priority and he’s my priority.
“I don’t want to have any more kids so whoever I’m going to marry is someone I just want to be my friend; we’re together because we want to be together first and foremost. He must be someone who can make me laugh, make me talk. Someone who is open and large hearted. He must be tall and handsome no matter his age.
“I don’t mind average guys though but he must be handsome and he has to work hard and he must get money sha. But that’s like M&B kind of a guy and they are very hard to find so maybe, I’ll never remarry.”
Vivian tied the knot just as her career was reaching its peak 12 years ago. Does she have any regret about getting married at the expense of her career?
“No I don’t regret marrying because I have four wonderful children,” she volunteers.
Are any of her kids taking after her? The actress’ features are animated as she responds: “Yes, my youngest daughter is taking after me. Her sakara is plenty. I de fear when I see her. She looks just like her father physically but she has my aura.”

Nollywood
Vivian’s foray into the world of make belief was more accidental than planned. She came in after she went to see her cousin, Charles Okafor at Zeb Ejiro’s office when she was on holidays as an undergraduate studying at UNILAG. Zeb took an instant liking to her and auditioned her immediately.
“Zeb was like ‘who is this small girl, can she act?’ And immediately he gave me a script and the industry just happened for me and I just grew,” Vivian recalls.
In retrospect, she says she thinks she got the role because she had what Zeb was looking for. “I don’t know but I guess he had been having problems casting that particular character and this happy-go-lucky-girl just walks into his office with all the attitude he’s looking for in that character. He liked the fact that I was myself; there was no air about it.
“Candle Light just blew me more than we all expected. I had the privilege of working with the best. Zeb Ejiro wouldn’t have given me the role if he didn’t believe in my ability to deliver.”
Vivian went on to star in Bachelors, Fire on The Mountain, All For Winnie, Karishika, Worst Marriage, White Angels, Samadora, Benita, and Evil Genius to mention a few.

Marriage
However, just as quickly as she hit the limelight, Vivian dropped out of the loop. She opens up on what made her abandon Nollywood at the height of her career.
“First and foremost, I got married and right after that I was pregnant even though I did a couple of movies. Along the line I made a choice for which I might not be very proud now which was concentrating on building a family.
“After my first child, the second one came and everything just overwhelmed me suddenly. Being a wife, mother and a career woman became so impossible because I had two small children.
“I am grateful I have my children but if I were to choose again, I won’t choose that path because I left at the apex of my career. I did not really consider my career because I believed there was time for everything, and besides, the acting career wasn’t something I planned.”

Back on the block
Since she came back a year ago, Vivian has been hopping from set to set. She comments on the progress so far: “I officially came back last year and last year I shot a film with Funke Akindele. I have shot with Iyabo Ojo and done three movies with Fathia Balogun. The Yoruba industry embraced me when I came back. You know, they have hierarchy and respect senior colleagues and they appreciate me, so when I came back and said I wanted to work, they said ‘let’s work.’”
How does she strike a balance between taking care of four kids and her job as an actress?
“They are priority for me; they’ve been priority from the outset. I love them so much and remind myself that the reason why I work so hard is to give them the best. So, with that at the back of my mind, God just gives me the grace to strike a balance,” she responds.

Training
One thing she finds appalling is the state of Nollywood today. She says that from acting to directing and producing, a lot still needs to be done. “There should be a lot more training because a lot of people want to act. Producers should stop taking advantage of girls and it shouldn’t be a molue kind of situation.
“I like the Yoruba industry a lot more because they learn by apprenticeship. They have training schools where you work in costume, make up, or whatever capacity you desire. You observe for two or three years. During this period you choose where you want to specialize and you are hooked up with a mentor who grows you. In the English sector, there needs to be some kind of training. Don’t cast that girl because you have seen between her legs or because she’s your cousin or your sister from the village.
“Nollywood is now like Hollywood. There’s plenty of show and there’s plenty of sex and all that. But for those who are coming in, don’t put yourself in the position to be compromised. You can do better for yourself. Just keep your head high and keep learning and don’t give yourself to any man. I hear a lot of female movie producers are harassing boys now. I just heard that these females take advantage of pretty boys. Maybe it’s payback time but it’s a man’s world.”

Good old days
Vivian is longing for the good old days of Nollywood when talent and hard work were the routes to success unlike these days when the impression among some youngsters is that one could sleep one’s way up the ladder of success.
“Back then you had to have skills no matter the amount of couch casting. I had the privilege of working with reputable producers. Back then we worked a little harder than what’s on ground now.
“Now it’s more like an all comers affair and you must belong to a caucus. Then it was not a do or die affair. Those days if you slept with a producer for a role and did not get it, you couldn’t say it out; then it was a hush hush thing. You ended up licking your wounds by yourself because you couldn’t even say it out!
“Now you see every Tom, Dick and Harry saying things you can’t imagine! The other day I heard one say ‘can you imagine, I slept with that guy for a role and I didn’t get it’. I hear these conversations and they drive me nuts! Back then feminity was so sacred and reserved but now I don’t understand; it’s really sad!”

Advice
The actress has an advice for girls who believe that sleeping around is the quickest way up the ladder: “Is it really worth it? The answer definitely is that it’s not. You sleep with one movie producer and he gives you one role. Those who have done it should think back and ask themselves, ‘has that one role done it for them?’ Your guess is as good as mine; it has not put them in the league of those up there.
“Nollywood is now like Hollywood, there is plenty of sex and there’s plenty of show but for those who are coming, don’t put yourself in the position to be used. Keep working hard, keep your head high and keep going for the auditions.”

Vivian’s joy
Despite the negative overview, Vivian says there’s a lot of reason to be happy for Nollywood. Her joy comes from the fact that there are a group of professionals doing a great job. People could raise funds now to shoot movies with pressure from Idumota.
New project
One thing a lot of people don’t know is that Vivian is also a movie producer. During her brief but eventful stint in Nollywood, she produced a couple of films. Now she says she is coming back full blast both as an actress and producer.
“Before I left in 2000 I produced my first job. My brother, Anthony Metchie, is a Hollywood director of photography. He was in the country then so I said, ‘bro, come work with me.’ After that, I did another Yoruba movie entitled, Inu Mi Kan, when I was on recess and got burnt because I did not know the industry so I backed out. Now I’m working on doing two small budget movies and one big budget movie later this year or early next year,” Vivian concluded.
The Sun

No comments:

Post a Comment