Friday, December 14, 2012

Traffic gridlock as Jonathan attends RCCG Convention

Monsur Olowoopejo
Hundreds of Commuters in Lagos were, Friday, groaned for hours in traffic snarl on the Lagos roads following the visit of President Goodluck Jonathan to Redeemed Christian Church of God, (RCCG) convention.
While passengers were stranded at different Bus Stop for several hours, as security officers attached to the President closed the roads from Marina axis of the state on the Lagos Island to Lagos- Ibadan expressway.
Speaking to Vanguard, Mr. Adewale Adekoya, a motorist, lamented,” I closed from work early today but to my surprise, I was told that I cannot make use of the road now because the President I elected into office want to pass. This is appalling.”
Adekoya explained “I have been this traffic for hours and due to this, I am hungry here now because I did not eat at work hoping to get home early and eat.”
Vanguard observed that the right side of the road was closed completely to resist the movement of motorist and commuters for the president to have easy passage thereby causing the traffic gridlock on the roads.
Some of the roads visited by Vanguard were: Lagos Island through Lagos Ibadan Expressway to Lateef Jakande Road Nurudeen Olowopopo, Amara Olu and Ogunnusi roads, among others.
Visit to these roads by Vanguard, further revealed that there was long queue of vehicles which ran into adjoining streets and highways.
As this traffic snarl increases, commuters who could not bear the stress of waiting at the Bus Stops for vehicle resorted to an endless trekking because the vehicles were trapped in a bumper-to-bumper traffic.
Mr. Simeon Anthony, a commuter, said “I had no option than to trek because I cannot say when the traffic would subside. And for me, I cannot wait at the Bus Stop for a commercial bus that I do not know when it would arrive.”

No comments:

Post a Comment