Monday, May 13, 2013

DO THEY BELIEVE IN GOD? : NGF Election: I’ll Defeat Any Opponent With Prayers – Rotimi Amaechi




Rivers State Governor and Chairman of the Nigerian Governors’ Forum (NGF), Mr Chibuike Amaechi has expressed the optimism that in spite of the activities of political jobbers and detractors against his second term in NGF, his belief in the power of prayers and God’s intervention will enable him to overcome their antics.
The NGF election is scheduled to hold on May 23, 2013 in Abuja, the nation’s capital city.
Amaechi stated this on Sunday night during a solidarity visit and celebration of Holy Mass by the Bishop of the Catholic Diocese of Port Harcourt, Most Reverend Camillius Etekudor at Government House, Port Harcourt.
The governor said; “I believe in the power of prayers. If you look at my political history, you cannot divorce God and prayers from my political history, if you remember how I became speaker, it was through prayers. Before I became speaker, I was already married to my wife (Dame Judith Amaechi) and she knew how we prayed and fasted together to be speaker. You know the story of the governorship race.  What I ask God is, why should I go through crisis like this all the time, why are people not honest in life?”
He also vowed that his administration would hinge on his vision of sustaining integrity, transparency, accountability and good governance to deliver dividends of democracy to Rivers people.
Amaechi said; “When I am asked a question, people expect me to tell a lie or bend it a bit, and suddenly it comes out straight. And when it comes out straight, people don’t like it. And my Catholic Priest told me that it is only me that will account for my soul before God, not even my wife will help me to account for my soul. So if because of you, I bend it a bit, how will I answer to my God?”
“The solidarity you have shown to me and my wife today, we can only take it to God. We thank God for your presence here.  One promise I will make to you is that I will continue to deliver on my promise to God and man;that they can’t take away from us. They are just trying to distract us. You know, usually Governors begin well and sometimes end badly. If you allow them to distract us, we will end badly. So don’t you ever listen to any body, they can’t do anything, know it that God is behind us.”
Earlier in his admonition, Bishop Etukudoh thanked members of Church for their large turn-out for the solidarity visit and celebration of mass in honour of Amaechi.

No comments:

Post a Comment