Sunday, March 24, 2013

HABA PASTOR : ‘Pastor promised to pay me N6000 if I get him a human skull’ ...


Jimoh

Oyewole

Wasiu Bakare never imagined that the slight sickness that took his wife, Bakare Monsurat to the Federal Medical Centre, Idi-aba, Abeokuta, the Ogun State capital would claimed her life.
He was optimistic for a happy reunion with the wife in a matter of days, especially given the sign that her condition was improving by the day.
But this never was! Monsurat, on October 23, 2009, shattered the hope when she breathed her last.
The shocking news of her death was too overwhelming for Bakare to bear even two years after the tragedy. When he was gradually picking himself up and facing the onerous task of meeting another responsible wife, one Mattew Akiode brought another round of sorrow to him and his children.
Akiode, in the most callous manner, went to the burial site of Bakare’s late wife, dug the grave and severed the head. He claimed that he was contracted by one Micheal Oyewole, an Abeokuta-based Pastor of a white garment church to supply the human skull.
Bakare nearly died when he was alerted of the odd incident which had attracted the residents of Orelope village, Sabo where he has a developing property on which he buried the wife.
The 45-year-old told the Nigerian Compass that, “It sounded like I was not the person concerned. This is because I never thought that such a thing could happened to anybody I know, let alone to me.
“I did not know that what I read in the newspapers about these heartless people is true until this happened to me.”
Bakare said until the incident, he had no reason to doubt the character of Akiode whom he could easily vouch for as hardworking young man.
This was the image with which many  people in Sabo area and even beyond also knew Akiode for.
Indeed, people in the area used to regularly contracted him to do one job or the other for them, particularly when he was off of his bricklaying vocation.
He further said: “I asked him to clear my site which was over ran with weed. I had earlier tried it myself but found it too difficult a task to tackle. Thus I asked Akiode on August 28, 2012, with a belief that he would in no time cleared the bush, to carry out the clearing for me. I paid him N2000 to do the job.”
Bakare added: “The N2000 meant so much to Akiode, considering that he was passing through a difficult time. The job brought the much needed relief to him and he quickly went to the site with his tools.”
While he was busy with cutting the plants, a thought suddenly flashed through his mind, reminding him another contract Oyewole had earlier gave him, which, according to him, he declined because of the danger associated with it.
His fear, however, evaporated as he remembered that a sum of N6000 awaited him if he could do Oyewole’s bidding. He made up his mind and made a beeline for the grave of his principal’s wife.
Akiode recalled:“I did not spend much time to dig and removed the skull I needed. I quickly kept it inside a black nylon I found in the bush. Then I made attempt to call Pastor to tell him that I had got what he had asked me to get to in order to get paid N6000.”
To Akiode, the act was a fait accompli. However, one man was some metres away on an elevated platform watching him with disbelief.
The man identified as Olalekan Azeez, was trimming fronds on palm tree in an adjoining compound.
The fear-stricken Azeez who saw him while digging the grave, could not shout but found his way down and thought of what to do.
He thought that a man who could open a grave, could as well crush any obstacle on his way.
This thought  sent jitters down his spin, yet Azeez was determined to expose Akiode.
Not long afterwards, a group of men emerged on their way from their union gathering held in the area.
 Azeez  ran to them and quickly narrated to them what he saw. The men could hardly believed what they heard. 
They rushed to the scene, but Akiode was smart enough to have refilled the grave and covered it with grass to give a false appearance.
“At first, I was confused because the whole thing did not appear as if he was the one I saw. There was no trace of having dug the grave. But suddenly I came to my sense and insisted that we should search everywhere,” narrated Azeez. “We removed the grasses from the grave surface and saw a fresh earth.
“This reassured me. Other people were also searching the surrounding while two of them held Akiode. After some efforts, we saw the black nylon inside which the skull was kept and we shouted at him. That was how we caught him and alerted other neighbours of the area.”
Akiode instantly lost his earlier confidence and confessed to the commission of the crime. While he was frantically pleading for mercy, the people headed for the Ilupeju Divisional Police Headquarters.
Akiode became a celebrity of sorts at the Division as everyone who heard his alleged crime rushed to catch a glimpse of a man who desecrated another person’s tomb.
The Division Police Officer did not waste much time before Akiode was transferred to the Homicide section at the State Criminal Investigation Department (SCID), Eleweeran, Abeokuta.
It was during interrogation that he confessed to the crime and named Oyewole as the brain behind his sacrilegious act.
“The Pastor also used to give me jobs to do like other people. One day as I was doing a job for him, he said for how long would I do the menial job to make a good money. He said if I could get him human skull, I would make something better than what I was earning from the menial job I was doing. I was scared when I heard this.
“I was scared because I did not expect such a thing from a man of God. I did not give him an answer on that day. I just laughed and continued with my work. When the thought came to me again on the day I was broke, I said to myself that I would do it if I see any grave in any part of my area.
“I said to myself that doing this was better than taking gun to kill,” Akiode said.
Policemen who were familiar with Oyewole’s name first, cast a doubt on the allegation but further details, especially on the telephone conversation between him and Akiode after the act diffused the doubt.
A team of policemen stormed the town in search of Oyewole. The effort paid off as he was brought to Eleweeran.
Oyewole denied the allegation Akiode heaped on him. Although he admitted a relationship with Akiode, as he had earlier stated, he took an exemption to the role Akiode alleged he played in asking him to hunt for human skull.
 Oyewole said: “I would not know why this man is making this allegations against me. I don’t know the wrong I had done him to punish me with this allegation. I am a man of God! In the service of God! I am satisfied with what God has done for me so far. Why should I involve myself in this type of dirty thing? I know my God is up there, watching all over what is hidden to man,” he said.
 Oyewole’s claims of innocence could not bail him out of the mess as he was detained and charged to the Magistrate Court 1 at Isabo on September 5, 2012. Both Oyewole and Akiode were charged for Conspiracy and Unlawful possession of human skull.
The case was adjourned to October 10, 2012 after which it suffered a further adjournment till November 21, 2012.
The spokesman of Ogun State Police Command, Muyiwa Adejobi, an Assistant Superintendent of Police, confirmed the on-going prosecution of the suspects, but declined further comment on the matter.
Adejobi, however, commended the effort of the investigating team which handled the matter to its conclusive end, thereby necessitating the prosecution devoid of delay.
He said it took the meticulousness of his men to establish a strong link between the suspects to the crime.
“From our end here, we have done what was expected of us in a matter like this and we do hope that the Court also will do justice to the matter when it finally rules,” the PPRO said in his office.
While Akiode and Oyewole are battling with sleepless nights over the likely punishment awaiting them in the court, one Olorunwa Jimoh is also in trouble for a similar offence.
Like Akiode, Jimoh also confessed that his business albeit illegitimate, was to search for graveyards from which he exhumes corpses in Ago-Iwoye.
It was gathered that one Otunba Adekoya, a resident of Adekoya Street in the town, caught him in the act on September 17, 2012, after which he raised the alarm, culminating in his arrest and detention at the Ago-Iwoye Divisional Police Headquarters.
The unusual confidence which Jimoh exuded in the presence of policemen painted a picture of an unrepentant man. He even justified his act as a means to survive what he called the hard time.
“What everybody is looking for, is what to do to get food and eat! This is my own means of making money to feed myself. Abore is the one who buys any part I take to him,” he said.
The Police have since commenced a search for Abore who is said to have fled Ago-Iwoye soon after the news of Jimoh’s arrest broke.
The Police, however, have decided to keep a sealed lip on the update of the search.
“We cannot tell you how far we have gone so that it won’t affect our job. But I can assure you that he would be fished out to confirm or deny the allegation,” boasted Adejobi.

No comments:

Post a Comment